Group

Group Admins

Forum topic at group Dog health and illness

Public Group active 4 years, 2 months ago ago

Dog health and illness

Refusing to eat anything at all (1 post)

• Profile picture of Denis Denis said 4 years, 2 months ago:

I have a 10 yr old dog in heart failure. He’s been on meds for about a year for coughing and then all of a sudden, I nearly lost him twice last month. His heart is twice the size it should be and it was beating 3 times faster than it should have. He’s been to the cardiologist several times in the past month and through trial and error, we seem to have found the meds that will stabilize his heart well.

The side effect: He won’t eat. Anything. For a while he would eat anything you would expect a dog to love, but only for 2-3 days and then he’d be completely done with it and hate it…he’ll just sniff it and turn away. At this point I’ve cycled through (and he now refuses) all the canned dog foods I’ve tried, dog treats, all people meats, cheeses, pasta, bread, yogurt, peanut butter, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, veggies, broths, even hot dogs. he won’t eat anything any more. I know some of those foods, especially hot dogs, are not ideal, but it was calories.

I tried pureeing foods and using a syringe but he’s mastered the art of not swallowing and letting food drip out the sides of his mouth. Same with ‘wiping’ foods across the roof of his mouth. He’ll just let all the food fall out of his mouth, unless it’s really sticky, but I’m running out of ‘sticky’ food ideas and can’t feed him peanut butter 24/7. Even pastes he manages to push out of his mouth…the food has to genuinely be sticky.

I got one of those high calorie vitamin pastes and mix that with his peanut butter to give him his meds. Other than that, my vet just says ‘keep trying.’

I realize he’s probably nauseous and one of the med’s side effects literally is ‘anorexia’, but I’m at my wit’s end. His heart is stable (for now) but it’s starting to look like I’ll lose him to starvation before heart disease.

Has anyone been through anything like this? Any suggestions or sticky food ideas?

thanks in advance

Community

Forgot password?

Calendar

<< Nov 2017 >>
MTWTFSS
30 31 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 1 2 3

Events